Day 8: Competitive Core

Hi everyone!

Well... it was only a matter of time. After enjoying my Day 7: Day O' Rest, I hit it hard today for Competitive Core.

Two banner events happened today.  Can you guess what they are?

Let's go straight to the headlines. :)


Headlines

1. Event #1 today - I torched my right glute. It's like someone beaned me with a tennis ball.
2. Event #2 today - I almost hurled. :) Almost, thankfully. I didn't throw up, but I really wanted to.
3. Today's workout was a tough one for me.  (Thank you, Captain Obvious.)
4. I'm whining a bit this evening. Without shame. Pat is waiting on me for dinner. Awww.
5. I still LOVE TapouT and KTrain! This program is really seriously kick ass.

The Scoop

Competitive Core isn't my favorite so far. It's hard. (You need to read that with a really whining voice. More like "It's harrrrrrrrrd.") It's got some fun moves, as every one of the workouts has so far. But it's intense and all core. After a day of rest, it kind of kicked my ass. I didn't eat any carbs for breakfast or lunch. Clear mistake. Should've hit a snack an hour before the workout.

The workout has lots of planks, lunges (again!), knee strikes, and various floor ab work. And it is, without a doubt, KTrain's signature rapid fire workout. Some of the moves were like "Whaaaaaa?"  I know I'll get them eventually. I made a valiant attempt today, only because I'm too stubborn to quit.  Thankfully, no one is watching me... because I know I look ridiculous.

Memorable Moves

There were so many memorable moves today, both good and... less good. :)
1- Balance Knee Strikes were really fun for me. Stand on one leg, bend forward, touch the ground with other leg extended behind, then power through for a knee strike. Love.
2-  Snow Angels.  Lay on the ground with arms extended above your head, legs flat and together. Simultaneously, crunch up while lifting (slightly) and spreading your legs, and bringing your arms down to reach toward your knees. Not sure that explains it well. But suffice to say I expected to hate these. I loved them. Total ab excellence.
3- Plank Side Crunch and Plank Reach Throughs. As you would imagine them. Yowsa. Liked these a lot. Tough, but felt so good.
4- Bader Rolls are the BOMB. I love them. I mentioned them in an earlier post. Sitting, knees up, roll way back onto your shoulders, then roll forward and hold with legs up, and knock out a couple of punches while crunching your abs.  I don't know why, but I <3 them.  
5- Here are the memorable moves that I tapped out on, sadly. Orlie Hop, Plank Hip Rotator and Side Burping. All involved power moves, and after watching, I opted to continue watching. I know, I know, I know. On my notes, I wrote my favorite profane word in HUGE capital letters next to Orlie Hop.  :-D  Next time. 
Overall

I wasn't able to power through this workout quite the way I would've liked. KTrain was kind enough to repeat throughout the workout, "Hey, if you need to rest, take a break."  I loved him in each of those moments. The power moves are still a challenge - having no hands or feet on the ground during these transitions is hard for me.  I may need to do a practice session just on this one day to conquer my block.


Favorite Mike quote of the day:  "Oh! This is burning! Geez! Why did I make these... <trail off>" I cracked up, as much as I could given that I couldn't breathe in that moment.

I love TapouT. I love Mike. I'm sure next time, I'll love this workout.

For now, my butt hurts. I'm hungry. And I'm whining a bit. Strike up the violins, please!

More tomorrow!
Lis


***
My "real" life beyond TapouT XT:
    Author and Coach: www.soulforbreakfast.com
    Executive Consultant: www.laiventures.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I felt like throwing up twice during this workout, and then I almost had a repeat of Day 1. And then ... I got a second wind and I had the most amazing workout.

    Every time I see you quote Mike I smile wryly 'cause ... How does she remember anything anyone says during these workouts?! I'm barely conscious enough to follow the routine. :P

    The jumps are what make this routine difficult. We just have to keep going until we're strong enough to do them all, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "... just have to keep going..." That is totally the key! There were a couple of times I almost donated my last meal to the fitness mat. This workout is a cooker for sure! As for the quotes... I would press pause, record Mike on my iPhone, take advantage of the break to drink some water, and then press play again! I could never remember. Some days the workout was all a blur. :-D

      Delete